June 13, 2011

A work, invaded.

I was bright and cheery that I have nearly all the technical crap out of the way and my first novel is ready to post up. I was overjoyed that after months of learning and working out all it takes to get a book ready, I could finally get back to writing! I opened another WIP last night, but while I was writing, my mind kept trailing back to how this work wasn't formatted at all. It was full of "tab" indents, the font was wrong, the line spacing was wrong... It's strange how my brain tries so hard to stay locked on one thing and I have to give effort to make it "mind". So as of now, I'm trying hard to focus on JUST writing.

I try to stay away from filling this blog with personal things. After all, this is about the writing aspects of my life and only faintly remarks on the personal. I just couldn't help thinking this fits into both, though. I awoke a few mornings ago to find this:


My son was in his PJ's having a (not so) nutritious picnic with a good book. The fact that both of my children enjoy reading warms my heart to no end. My daughter tells me constantly she can't wait to be older so that when she tries to read my books they will make sense, bless her.



The best part is, no matter what happens with this novel, nothing can deter me from trudging ahead. If I only sell two books, I will still keep writing, keep publishing, and keep going. I have the chance to demonstrate to my children how important it is to hold onto your dreams and not get discouraged. As of now, my son wants to be in the ARMY and my daughter wants to be a teacher. I'm sure those will change many times over the coming years, but I will always be there to encourage them. I don't care what they do, as long as they're happy doing it. I know I sure am.

That being said, I've noticed a lot of the blogs I follow have progress meters that tell current word counts and status of a WIP. I hope one of you would be so kind as to tell me where I can find one of those to put in this blog :)

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I loved this post! The main reason I was motivated to finally self-publish was so that my son could see something I'd written on Amazon. He's an artist, and I wanted him to know he too could get his stuff published. Of course I hoped (and dreamed) that people would enjoy my writing, but in the end, I knew it would make an impression on my son, and that's really all that mattered.

    Here's where I got my word count meter:

    http://www.writertopia.com/toolbox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post… got to love it.

    The one I use is this one, to me it looks the best and very easy to use/put on your site.

    http://allfreelancewriting.com/wordcount-tracker/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Thank you both, I'm finally getting back to writing like I should and I hope I'll have a word count meter going up soon.

    ReplyDelete