April 6, 2011

The title of this post is "Title"

         With a 65k word, 20+ chapter book in my hand, I searched through the pages over and over trying to find the perfect fit, the perfect words to lay on the cover that would give it a name. It's ridiculous how someone could type out that many words straight from their imagination and be speechless when it comes to putting one or two words on the front of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has dealt with this conundrum. A friend told me to check out some title generators, I honestly didn't even know they existed. If you're desperate to give your book a name (I had a harder time naming this book than I did my own children), check out: http://www.fictionalley.org/primer/title.html. There, you can plug in some important grammar from your manuscript and it randomly fits them together. I was actually surprised at the results. I wonder how many big authors came up with their title this way?
        And just for fun: http://www.kitt.net/php/title.php has a really random title generator. Don't expect much in the means of a serious title from that one, but you'll likely get a good laugh. The first one it gave me was The Dangerous Heater.
       I ended up creating my title from two words that really stuck out to me, but had nothing to do with my book. Go ahead, call me crazy, but upon a little further investigation I found the perfect way to tie it in to my story and make it relevant throughout all 20-something chapters (I say 20-something because I'm sure by the time the editing is done, that number will change). Maybe someday you can pick up Sounding Waters and see exactly what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is about your blog that makes it so easy to read, but I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete